In 1846 the grocer had his house registered for worship and he probably promoted the building in 1847 of a Primitive Methodist chapel, called by 1854 the Rehoboth chapel. Local preachers would walk from miles around and congregations of 250–300 attended two of the three Sunday services. The chapel was later served from Saffron Walden.
Arthur Balls from 47 Chapel Lane was a preacher and Sunday School teacher. Mrs Libby Balls was chapel caretaker and cleaner and the chapel key was always kept at no.47.
The Chapel Sunday School treat in 1922:
When Len Loates saw this photo, he immediately identified himself by the straw hat he was wearing. It had a bright red band and he remembered the embarrassment he felt as it had been passed down from his eldest sister Win.
The young boy in light jacket, dark hair, staring defiantly with a friend leaning on his shoulder is his brother Wilf Loates born Chapel Road August 5th 1910.
At harvest festival, the Chapel was filled with sheaves of wheat, barley and oats; there were flowers and fruit from gardens and hedges and vegetables of all kinds.
The Chapel Sunday School:
The Chapel was sold in 2018 with planning permission to convert it into a 4 bedroom house.